Switching from a toxic to a non-toxic lifestyle can be one of the most challenging things to do. This is where you challenge yourself to seek out different remedies for daily living. This includes cleaning products, make-up, haircare, skincare, and more.
When you’re healing from any sort of chronic condition, it is important to assess your environment. Often times our homes, can be more toxic than the outdoors. When I first learned about this, I was shell shocked. A lot of people talk about stress, nutrition, exercise, but not a lifestyle.
Having a toxic lifestyle can be what is preventing you from healing. Especially if you are dealing with an autoimmune condition, thyroid dysfunction, and/or hormonal imbalances. However, I want to dive into a bit of my story to give an example of what you can do!
Creating My NON-Toxic lifestyle
It really wasn’t until my senior year of college, that I started to take my health seriously. I had a lot of digestive issues, hormonal imbalances, and fatigue. Once I got tested and started on a protocol, I thought I was good to go!
However, little did I know that the cleaners my mom uses, my skincare, and other products were making it harder for me to heal. Unfortunately, a lot of these products contain containments that soak into our skin.
A lot of people (including myself) don’t know is that our skin is our largest organ. So whatever you put on your skin will end up in your bloodstream. So for me, what I had to tackle was changing my haircare, skincare, and cleaning products. As of now I don’t wear makeup because I don’t understand it, but I 100% want to get into it.
As of now, I have reduced my toxic load a lot from when I was in high school/college. I found brands that I love and want to share with you. These are some things you can do now to begin the transition from toxic to a non-toxic lifestyle.
Tip 1: KNow What Works For You – Going Cold Turkey or Baby Steps
This is very important! This dictates if you will be successful in making this change. The reason is depending on who you are it can feel intimidating. Some people are able to go completely cold turkey and start new. If you’re like me that can be hard as you don’t want to waste products/money.
I do want to say if you are a cold turkey type person, these are some great resources so your products don’t go to waste.
- Sell Unopened Products: If you have unopened make-up, haircare, skincare, and/or cleaning products you can sell it. I know sites like Poshmark you can sell your items to get some money back. As for cleaning products, you can often sell to friends/family too.
- Donate: There are multiple different places you can donate your personal care or cleaning supplies too. However, make sure to read the fine print in case they have requirements. Some of my favorite resources are: BeautyBus, Project Beauty Share, and Community Action Partnership.
- Go Local: A lot of women’s shelters or homeless shelters will accept donations! I highly recommend checking out what is in your local area.
However, if you prefer baby steps like me, there is a different way to become non-toxic too.
- Replace Items as You Finish Them: This is one of my favorite tips as it is so simple. As for finish say your foundation, the next time you need some purchase a non-toxic version. That way you aren’t wasting anything. This is also the best way to save money.
- Give to Friends/Family: I recently did this, in which I gave my make-up obsessed friend some make-up and gave my mom some skincare. This may seem counterintuitive as you don’t want anyone using toxic items. However, you need to meet them where they are and if they want your stuff hand it over.
- Recycle: If I had a tiny bit of a product, I will often recycle it (especially if I am over it). Remember to rinse our products too!
Tip 2: Do Your Research
This is just as important as a lot of products use buzz words to market to non-toxic individuals. I recommend looking into the Think Dirty app and EWG before purchasing an item! Both resources will give you a rating on the product.
You want to aim for products that are in the green and have some certifications too. Such as EWG verified or USDA Organic. However, one of my favorite resources is the Beautycounter Never List. As these are the ingredients you should never see in your personal care products.
Tip 3: Ask for Products for The Holidays
This was actually how I got a lot of my skincare stuff. It is also a great way to introduce new companies to family and friends. I always recommend joining a company’s newsletter to get the low down on sales, coupons, and holiday sets.
What I usually do is give my mom or significant other (for example) a list of what they want along with any coupons and/or discount codes. Then they will most likely be interested in buying as they save money.
However, if the holidays are out of the picture, still signing up for the newsletter is a great way to save money.
Tip 4: Do Not Stress
Do not stress over this transition. Remember you are taking steps to make your lifestyle non-toxic. Some people are not financially safe enough to throw it all out and start new. That is okay as I am with you on that.
Frankly becoming more stressed is only going to make it harder to heal. That is the exact opposite of what I want you to feel. I want this post to help you feel in control and ready to achieve a non-toxic lifestyle.
Some of My Favorite Products
Lastly, I do want to share some of my favorite items I use every day for both cleaning and personal care!
- Beautycounter Countercontrol Set
- Thai Crystal Deodorant
- Beautycounter Charcoal Bar
- Beautycounter Charcoal Mask
- doTERRA Shampoo and Conditioner
- Beautycounter Facial Oils
- Himalaya Botanique Toothpaste
- doTERRA Essential Oils for Perfume
- Castile Soap (DIY Hand Soap and Dish Soap)
- Tea Tree Linen Spray
- OnGuard Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Seventh Generation Free & Clear Laundry Detergent
I truly hope this post helps you to find ways to transition to a non-toxic lifestyle affordably and easily. Please share this with others who are thinking of changing or who already are! Thank youu so much for reading!